I recently had the opportunity to chaperone my daughter's confirmation class on a road trip. In all honesty I was not looking forward to this trip, the main reason......it started at 7:15AM on a Saturday! Despite the early morning it turned out to be a very pleasant trip. My car was filled with moms and daughters and off we went to a nearby historical place.
Ephrata Cloister
This place is OLD! 1732 OLD!
It was founded by German settlers seeking spiritual goals rather than earthly rewards.
Sleeping on wooden boards and using a wooden block as a pillow is not my idea of fun, but that's what they did here. One meal a day too! Yikes, I would never make it in this cloister! But it's a great place for pictures.
We had a fantastic tour guide who was very knowledge and really made this place come to life for us. So worth the $8 admission price. I highly recommend a visit if you are in the area!
This place is OLD! 1732 OLD!
It was founded by German settlers seeking spiritual goals rather than earthly rewards.
Sleeping on wooden boards and using a wooden block as a pillow is not my idea of fun, but that's what they did here. One meal a day too! Yikes, I would never make it in this cloister! But it's a great place for pictures.
We had a fantastic tour guide who was very knowledge and really made this place come to life for us. So worth the $8 admission price. I highly recommend a visit if you are in the area!
Doesn't this look like a little hobbit house.
All the kids wanted to know was...... when is lunch. Good kids just not digging history as much as me.
Wonder if today's youth would be able to survive without all the comforts they have grown accustomed to?
After some nourishment it's off for a walking tour of downtown Lancaster.
To be continued........
That looks so cool! I love history and thankfully Jemma is totally into history right now too. There was a PBS special several years ago where families went and lived in a colonial village and had to live like they did. It was interesting to watch how these families tried to adapt. They did it for several months! I could do it for maybe a weekend, but that would be about it!
ReplyDelete