This weekend my 14 year old had a design job! She upholstered her Pappy's headboard as his Christmas present. She's crafty like that! Hours of HGTV watching will do that to you. Sadly, no photos of the finished product, but I hear the client was very, very happy!
Bright and early Saturday morning, we met Nanny at a fabric store that has been around for over 40 years. I remember going here as I kid but haven't stepped foot in this store in decades. WOW!
I was blown away by the choices and the prices......fantastic! Oh how I wish I could sew! It is on my list of things to do, pillows and aprons that's what I want to make.
Roll after roll of beautiful patterns.
And buttons! I've never seen so many in my life.
So friends, how many of you sew? Any suggestions for a very basic, beginner sewing machine? Also looking for any books with great photos (I'm a visual learner) on teaching the basics of sewing.
And if you are available to come to my house and teach........that would be even better!
I love all those fabrics, but I can't sew anything. I can barely sew a button on. It is a true talent. I don't have it, but would love to be able to "whip" things up!
ReplyDeleteI have a sewing machine thanks to my MIL who also got me sewing lessons when she got me the machine back when Dave and I were first married. I can give you the name of the "teacher" if you ever get your sewing machine. I can make basic patterns, and have made many curtains and Halloween costumes over the years, and I also made our Christmas stockings. Never tried pillows though. I'm glad I know (basically) how to sew, it has been a huge help!
ReplyDeleteI have a glue gun! I would be happy to show you how to apply patches to everything from Cub Scout shirts to hockey jerseys, hem pants and fix curtains. However, I have often thought of leaving these mad skills behind and moving towards the glamorous world of thread and needle.... can you let me know how it all turns out?
ReplyDeleteI want to go there! Where is it? I don't know how to sew at all though, but I do enjoy drooling over fabric.
ReplyDeleteI would have been in heaven in that store! I'd rather shop for fabric than clothes or shoes. I sent you an e-mail about a sewing machine.
ReplyDeleteI have a Jenome. I know nothing about it, other than my mom helped me pick it out years ago from a teeny tiny shop in York, which I believe is no longer in business. Very basic and has done it's job mostly, though it HATES fleece. It also eats my fingers.
ReplyDeleteSorry, that's Janome. I looked it up ... AFTER I published my comment. :)
ReplyDelete