Monday, July 19, 2010

The Long Road Home



Sometimes it pays to turn off the GPS and just take the long way home. We are explorers by nature. Before we had kids, we used to get in the car and just drive until we found an interesting town to explore. We would then spend an entire Saturday being "tourists".  Luckily our children have that same sense of adventure and don't usually complain when we turn a 7 hour car ride into a 13 hour car ride! (promises of  junk food and silly bands make it a little more tolerable)

Here are just a few interesting things we discovered by taking the road less traveled from North Carolina to Pennsylvania.........

Remember this movie?



Here's the real house, not quite oceanfront anymore. It was literally sitting in the ocean but was recently moved and is being restored.

We will make an illegal u-turn anytime we see something historic!
So of course we had to stop at the Wright Brothers National Memorial in Kill Devil Hills, NC.
It was actually a very informative place for our first potty break! Lots and lots of information about the history of aviation. If you are ever in the area, I recommend visiting this memorial.






This was by far my favorite pit stop! A charming little town in Virginia with quaint shops and lovely waterfront properties.






I've always had a thing for Victorian architecture, so finding these beauties made me very happy! Just love those second floor balconies. Most of these homes are empty and for sale, so I did a lot of peeking in windows!! I came right home and checked them out on realtor.com and drooled over the interiors. (just can't swallow the prices, way over my budget!!)


Oh, the colors, the details...be still my heart!



Just saw this quote somewhere and thought it was a great reminder......

Enjoy life now-it has an expiration date!

I hope we always skip the highway and take the long road home, the scenery is so much nicer!!!!





3 comments:

  1. Great post! We love to just drive around and see what we can get into. The DVD in the car has served us well!!! What a great way to come home from a vacation! Awesome pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I loved the Occoquan pics. I've never been there before or even heard of it.

    A friend vacations in Rodanthe and said the house from the movie is completely uninhabitable because it gets flooded too often, yet Hollywood dumped millions into its renovation then left it there. What those millions could have done for some needy people...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet little town! So glad you decided to be adventurous! And how great for the kiddos to see that side of you too. I'm sure they had a blast!
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails